Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Captured and Released (hopefully)

I HATE SNAKES!! But apparently, my husband and child thinks that means "bring them home and make them a pet!!"

On May 25, 2010, Sir Hiss was captured and became a pet at the Phelps' home. I guess I can consider a slithery, green snake a pet?!? I have been fine with Sir Hiss as long as he stays in his cage. Although, I have heard from a 9 year old little boy, that sometimes Sir Hiss lays on the bed and watches tv.....Glad I didn't walk in and see that!!

I feel like I have been a good mother. I allowed that thing in my house. I even flipped the outside light on and off, on and off for Kyle to be able to catch a moth and feed the thing. I even found someone to look after the thing while we were on vacation. For someone who HATES snakes, I think I have been okay with this thing.

Logan taps on the glass all the time to make sure he is still okay. Sir Hiss likes to just lay there. I am sure he is looking out the window, wishing he was outside, but instead he is watching his "enclosed" life pass him by. I feel bad for the little green guy...I am sure he would rather be outside scaring people instead of having a big hand tapping on the glass scaring him! But I dare not say anything to Logan because he likes him a lot...he likes to say, "I have a pet snake. Wanna see him?"

But this morning, Logan and I had a conversation. It went like this:

Logan- "Mom, I am going to make you very proud of me."
Mom- "Um, okay. Why?"
Logan- "Because today I am releasing Sir Hiss back into the wild!!"
Mom- "Really? That is great. I am sure his family will be happy to see him again!" (Even though I am jumping for joy inside!)
Logan- "I am really going to miss him but I don't think he likes it in our house anymore."
Mom- "Why do you say that?"
Logan- "Because he just lays on that tree top and never moves until I start beating on the glass. And then he just looks at me and sticks out his tongue."
Mom- "Okay, we will just have to wait on daddy, because I am not going to do it."
Logan- "It's okay to be sad Mom, he was part of our family!"

So, Sir Hiss....You were a great pet for 2 months, but your journey at the Phelps Home is over and it is time to head back out into the wild. We will miss you!! Come visit anytime, but PLEASE don't scare the mother of the home next time!! :)

Bye Bye Sir Hiss
May 25, 2010-July 21, 2010
You were an awesome pet!!
Come back.....anytime
(Words by Logan not Mom)

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

You:....We have to wait for Daddy
Logan:...it's ok to be sad Mom

I love how he mistook your sarcasm for sadness! You are a good momma to let a snake in your house. Luckily for me, Quinn won't have a chance, given Buddy's immense fear of snakes. But knowing how I feel about spiders, Quinn will want a tarantula....perish the thought.

I'm sure Logan will always remember his Sir Hiss summer!

Susan said...

I loved this blog. What will go in the tank next??? Logan has a heart for creatures.

KyleAmandaLogan said...

I am whispering in his ear at night "I really want a fish. I really want a fish. I really want a fish!!" So, we will see!! I know a nasty lizard is going in the big tank...not sure about the little one. And he wants another hamster!! We will see!

Angie Tullock said...

You are a better mom than me! There would have never been a snack in my house unless it was a rubber snake!

Kim said...

Funny, funny post but one you will NEVER see on my blog and I don't think I have to state why!!!