Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oh Silent Night....

...How long will you stay? I had mixed emotions when I walked through the door a few minutes ago. First, I wasn't greeted by anyone. Second, there were no lights on anywhere in the house so of course I had a creepy feeling (I know, my fault for watching all the scary movies). Third, I don't know what to do with myself.
I love having my "children" gone sometime but it always leaves a lonely feeling. I hated pulling into the driveway and not seeing any lights on. To me, lights help make a home. Apparently, I can't get that through Kyle's head. Then my garage door wouldn't go up so I have to walk to the front door (in the dark and cold). As I am walking to the door, I start hearing this jingling sound (again, I've watched too many scary movies) so I start walking "very fast" to the front door. Then I am trying to unlock the door by using my sister's house key! So I have my hands full, trying to find the right key in the pitch black dark!! Luckily, after dropping the pizza, I find that the jingling noise was just my cat, Tyson! I would have figured that out earlier but I was told that he was in the basement. I guess all the facts weren't correct.
Now, to the other set of emotions. I love my family and I love all the fun that we have but honestly they drive me crazy sometimes. So coming home to a quiet house is very relaxing! As I was taking in all the peace and quiet, I reach the top of my stairs....What do I find?? BULLETS everywhere! Apparently, my "children" decided to have a war just before leaving for church. They must have been so rushed that they forgot to clean up the evidence. I have begged and pleaded for them NOT to play with it in the living room. I have candles, glass top tables and so many pictures frames in that room. But they enjoy shooting the bullets at the tv, glass table tops and my huge window over my front door!! Tonight they forgot to knock down one of the bullets that had stuck itself to my picture frame on the wall and also the 2 on my window!! Ah, Boys!! So I will be spending the rest of my quiet, peaceful, silent night picking up bullets. Nah, on the hand...I'm leaving them. Let them clean up their toys. Like I was taught, "Children must clean up their own messes!"
So as I am sitting here, I am just saying over and over in my head...Awww, the silence. Enjoy the silence because in 30 mins they will be back! So I am finished writing. I am going to go enjoy my last 25 minutes of peace.....

4 comments:

Susan said...

Silence is not always golden, sometmes it is lonely. Especially when you spend all your adult years as a "couple" and then 1/2 of that couple has to work nights.
Enjoy Logan because all too soon he will be grown and gone and you, too will be wondering where those years went. I speak from experience because my "children" are now grown and gone. Enjoy and don't fret over the bullets because those bullets represent a family. One day there will be NO bullets, there will be NO fingerprints, and there will be NO more laughter of a little boy....enjoy while the time is here. Love, Mom

KyleAmandaLogan said...

I was just writing! I know, I don't want him to grow up. I can come make fingerprints anytime!! Love you mom

Andrea said...

I enjoy the few times that Brian takes the kids somewhere, but the second they leave the quietness just bothers me. It's like I want to go back out there and snatch 'em out of Brian's truck!! But after my house is clean I realize that it's good to have time to yourself every now and then, although it would be great if my time alone wasn't spent cleaning!!!!

Kim said...

So funny I thought when I was reading along that you were going to say your house had been broken in to especially when I got to the part about the bullets.

Sometimes we just need that 30 minutes of quiet to relax and gear up for our roles as Mom and Wife.